This roasted beet salad with apple, herbed goat cheese, and fresh basil is sure to make your taste buds go 'wow!!'
Beets - 4 to 5 pcs
Oil - 1 tablespoon
Goat cheese - 4 oz
Mixed dried herbs - 1 teaspoon
Fresh basil - 6 to 8 leaves
Almonds - 5 pcs
Walnuts - 5 pcs
Pistachios - 5 pcs
Apple - 1/2
For the vinaigrette
Honey - 2 tablespoons
Dijon mustard - 1 tablespoon
Red wine vinegar - 2 tablespoons
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
Ground pepper - 1/4 teaspoon
1) For the beets - Preheat oven to 425°F. Clean the beets with water, cut off the stems. Place beets in a large piece of foil, drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Wrap them up and roast them in the oven for at least 60 minutes. Use a knife to test. If the knife pierces through the beet without any effort, the beets are ready. Unwrap the beets and let them cool off. Once they are cool, use a paring knife and peel it. Cut into wedges or however you like.
2) For the goat cheese - Whip the goat cheese with the dried herbs and set aside.
3) Cut pieces of the apple and set aside.
4) Finely chop the almonds, pistachios, and walnuts.
5) For the dressing - In a small bowl, whisk together honey, Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. Whisk constantly while slowly adding oil. Taste for seasoning. Toss the beet pieces in some dressing.
6) For the plating - arrange the beets as per your liking. Arrange 4 to 5 thin slices of apples with the beets. Form 2 quenelles of goat cheese leaning against the beets.
7) Sprinkle the chopped nuts across or on the beets. Finish with arranging the basil leaves on the beets.